Buyers and Sellers – act now to beat the holiday rush
Welcome to that time of year when it feels like everyone is in a rush. It’s all systems go as we race to get everything sorted before the end of the year.
It is normal to see an uptick in the number of properties for sale at this time of year, and that is exactly what we see happening in most markets right now.
That means there are going to be plenty of opportunities for buyers and sellers who are well prepared, ready to take action. If you have been frustrated by a lack of properties available in recent months, this could be your time for a breakthrough.
With such a relatively short time frame until the end of the year though, it’s important to get all your ducks in a row so you can move quickly and maximise your chance of success.
Here are a few steps you can take to make the most of this golden opportunity to secure a successful move.
Tips for Buyers
● Get your finance pre-approved so you can offer straight away on properties that meet your criteria. In a busy market, offers with short conditions (or no conditions) take precedence.
● Get your inspectors lined up. Build a good relationship with your key advisers, including a lawyer, building inspector and mortgage adviser. Treat these relationships like gold so you can call on their skills when the need arises.
● Ask your employer for flexibility. If you can only view houses on weekends (or at 7 pm on weekdays), there is a good chance you could miss out on the best opportunities. If possible, ask your boss for a little leeway to jump out during the day occasionally to view properties that fit your criteria.
● Dust yourself off quickly. If you miss out in a multiple offer situation, try not to let it get you down. It is a good idea to buy houses that other people want, but it does mean you have a decent chance of missing out. Sometimes buying a home takes a lot of persistence and it can be an emotional rollercoaster.
● Offer a flexible settlement date. Some owners might want to be out by the end of the year, while some might need a few extra months to find their next home. If you can be flexible, it could give you an advantage.
Tips for Sellers
● Provide as much information upfront as possible. If you want to attract more offers, make it easy for buyers to take action by removing hurdles from the process.
● Make it easy for buyers to view your home. Constant short-notice viewings can be challenging, especially for young families. Keep in mind that your home doesn’t have to be perfect every time a buyer comes through. Buyers aren’t looking at your dirty dishes. They are looking at the space, the sun, the location and the overall feel of your home.
● Hit the ground running. Launch all your marketing from the day you go on the market. Now is not the time to hold anything in reserve. If you want to walk away knowing you got the best possible price, try to make sure every potential buyer knows your property is for sale.
● Declutter inside and out. The best activity you can undertake to improve the presentation of your property is to remove excess stuff. This will make the inside of your home feel bigger and more welcoming. Outside your home, give your section a declutter, too. Cut back any trees getting close to the house or overhanging paths and go on a thorough de-weeding mission.
There is still time to make a move before the end of the year, and we are here to help! Get in touch today for a no-obligation consultation to discuss your real estate plans.